Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What do you do?

I know I haven't posted a review in awhile and it's not because I haven't been reading, I have, but rather because I haven't been able to fully recommend the books I've been reading. (When I started the blog it was with the intention of only blogging about the books I LOVED).

I call it the "they were good except for fill in the blank" problem. The stories were great and kept me entertained, but then "bam" something would be thrown. I have a really hard time when "adult" things are thrown into YA literature. (I don't like seeing it in adult novels, but I feel that the readership is better able to handle it)

A majority of the last novels I've read had references to sex--from fantasies to it actually happening-- drugs, drinking, smoking, violence and language. I even picked up an "award winning" YA novel only to find the main characters having sex in the first paragraph. I didn't read the rest of the novel, but upon further investigating I found that the novel included sex, rape, and sodomy among it's adult themes.

I think glamorizing immorality, drugs, drinking, and smoking in YA novels is a scary trend. It sends the wrong message and forces kids to grow up too soon. We all have to be adults way too soon, why can't we just enjoy childhood a little longer?

2 comments:

  1. I've had the discussions with Todd about why authors--supposedly "good" authors that write "best-selling" novels can't think of other language to use besides crude language and crass swear words. I have assumed, wrongly, it seems, that someone who writes for a living would find a way to rise above that language. I am no Molly M., but I have put down books in frustration with the language. I love watching period American pieces as well as movies set in Britain because I LOVE the way they talk--its something we've lost these days and I wish I had the way with words our society used to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame isn't it? It's especially galling when subpar books are offered to kids in middle school.

    ReplyDelete