Monday, February 8, 2010

Movie that ruin perfectly good books

I was browsing through the new movie trailers on Apple this weekend and was so excited to see one for the movie "Daddy Long Legs" but that excitement was short lived when I realized it had NOTHING to do with one of my favorite books.

Growing up I had a shelf that held those good old standbys. They were the books that no matter how many times you've read them they were still just as wonderful as the first time. They were the books that were read as a matter of habit, the books read when you needed comfort after a long day, or the books that allowed you to dream. Daddy Long-Legs by Jean Webster is one of those. I've read it so many times that it's now a very tattered book and it was one of the few books that came with me when I went away to college.

I love the story of Jershua "Judy" Abbott an orphan who writes letters to the rich benefactor who is paying her way through college. Because she knows nothing about him, she calls him Daddy Long-Legs. Her weekly letters to "Daddy Long-Legs" have it all--humor, sadness, happiness, and love. Her description into turn of the century college life is wonderful for it's innocence and the illustrations that dot the book are charming in their simplicity. If you've never read it I would highly recommend picking up a both this one and it's sequel Dear Enemy.

While I was kind of sad that they weren't making a movie of Daddy Long-Legs part of me was relived because of this trend in Hollywood has a tendency to ruin perfectly good books. And while I hate to see any decent book ruined when a movie of it's created, I can't stand it when they take some of my favorite books and turn it into a product I barely recognize. Daddy Long-Legs (Daddy Long-Legs, 1955), Rilla of Ingleside (Anne: The Continuing Story), My Friend Flicka (Flicka), and The Indian in the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard) all came to mind as books that were ruined by the movie.

What other books has Hollywood ruined when they turned it into a movie? I would love to hear which movies I should avoid and which books I should read instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment