Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Cat Royal Adventures

So I'm trying to decide if I should give each book in the Cat Royal Adventures it's own post, or if I should post them all together? Well I'll start with the first one and see how I feel when I finish it. :)



The Diamond of Drury Lane by Julia Golding

The Diamond of Drury Lane is the first book of the Cat Royal Adventures. I just found out that there will be nine adventures total and I can't wait. While the next five books are in print, I've only read the next two because they are the only titles available in the US.

This enchanting story is set in 1790's London (for those that know me, I'm not recommending it based on that fact alone :, but it was the reason I picked up the book in the first place)and where we meet the fiesty and resourceful 12-year-old Catherine "Cat" Royal, whose red hair matches her bravery and spirit. Cat, was left on the steps of the Theatre Royal in Drury Lane as a baby and has called the theatre home ever since. Cat loves the workings of the theatre and views all of the stagehand, actors, etc. as her extended family. So when Cat overhears that there is a diamond hidden somewhere on the premises, Cat vows to protect it and keep it safe. The only problem is that she doesn't know exactly where the diamond is hidden and the boss of one of local street gang, Billy Boils wants to get his hands on it, and if he can't do that then Cat will have to do. The story is fast paced, with numerous twists and turns as Cat and her friends, Pedro, a former slave violin virtuoso who Cat's wonders if he is trustworthy, the butcher Syd who has sworn to protect her from Billy, Jonathan, the theatre prompter who may be part of an insurrection, and the nobs Lord Francis and Lady Elizabeth who befriend Cat and in doing so get more than the bargained for. Golding weaves the tale by taking us from the backstage of the Theatre Royal to the filth of the city streets, combined with with her liberal use of 18th-century language adds charm to this tale. One of the things I enjoyed most about this tale is that Cat is smart and is able, most of the time, to rescue herself. While every girl needs to be rescued every once in awhile, I get sick of girls who are weak and can't think for themselves. This book has the perfect amount of action, humor, and mystery, to keep you guessing and in the end leave you very satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment